Q. How do I request library materials?


Circulating items

You can place a hold on up to 25 items of any material that can be checked out.

  • To do it yourself, sign in to the catalog and search for the item you want. You'll find a button to place a hold on the item, if it circulates.
  • Or ask a librarian and have your library card number ready* to place your hold. We will do three searches in one telephone or chat transaction.

When your hold becomes available at your requested location, we mail or email you a notice. In addition, you may register to receive pickup notifications by text message to your telephone.

*State confidentiality laws require that a library card number must be presented in order to access patron information by telephone or online.

Reference materials

Reference materials do not circulate. They include periodicals (magazines, newspapers) and encyclopedias, almanacs, atlases, directories, handbooks, and the like.

We will send photocopies from library material via FAX, postal service or courier to library card holders in good standing. Homebound individuals can register for home delivery.

  • up to 20 pages from up to three sources—other restrictions may apply
  • FAX/mail: 25¢/page
  • courier: 15¢ for black & white photocopies, or 25¢ per page for color or microfilm copies
  • applies to Reference Department only—the McClung Collection, the Archives, and TAMIS have separate fee schedules

Out-of-county or out-of-state requests will be sent at the discretion of the librarian with the same fee structure as for local customers.

If we don't have it:

Suggest a purchase – Suggest something new that we should add to the library collection.

Interlibrary loan, (865) 215-8746 – If we don't have an older item anywhere in the Knox County Public Library system, we may be able to get it for you from another library.


  • Last Updated Jun 24, 2021
  • Views 172
  • Answered By Melissa Brenneman

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0

Submit a question

Fields marked with * are required.
Your email address is required for this form. You can telephone, text, or chat instead.